Tuesday, February 4, 2014

LUCIEN’S BOILING POINT


photo by Korana Šegetalo Delić




William, where did the hippos end up?
Nothing but pain until it bubbles.
I try to picture it
then give up.
I don't dare go all the way.
Your radio says it happened
in some circus, in America.
Kerouac claims:
it was the London Zoo!
He was mostly wasted
when pressed for that answer.
Then there are voices, mentioning India.
Voices set some of us free,
condemned others,
they calmed Lucien.
He loved you both,
until the end, until his last breath,
when all of you ceased to believe
in each other
and city lights continued to break over you,
when suicide was a dream
just like a new breakfast,
in a new morning about to spill on me
in a matter of seconds.
William, you knew that, by his knife
and your gun, apple on her head
let's play the old rituals
in the name of hard boiled love
and the antics of courage and boredom.
I made coffee,
more bitter than dawns of adulthood
and pooling wounds,
its mug I later found empty
lost to oblivion while I drank it.
William, if there is no truth
and everything is permitted, 
what does that say about me?


  

Mehmed Begić


translated by: Korana Šegetalo Delić

No comments:

Post a Comment